Friday, February 20, 2009

Afternoon thought....China is a smooth operator

These oil deals with Russia, Brazil, Venezuala aren't just really smart, but they are cheap too.

Take the Russian deal for example:

The International Energy Agency (IEA), an energy watchdog group set up by the OECD countries, projects that oil prices will rise above $110 a barrel in real terms (more than $200 a barrel nominal) by 2030. The US's own Energy Information Administration (EIA) believes oil prices will rise above $60 a barrel in real terms by 2030. So what does China pay Russia until 2030? Less than $30 a barrel! That's dirt cheap any way you look at it.




P.S. Trying not to confuse the IEA with the EIA can be confusing at times :-)

2 comments:

John Vignocchi said...

Wait, the Chinese don't want to invest in US Treasuries anymore?? Why not?

Who wants oil when you can buy ~0% treasuries, then convert those treasuries into dollars, and then use those dollars as toilet paper?

The dollar may die. Buy gold?

eve green said...

I know you posted this quite a long time ago, but I wanted you to know that this is exactly what I was just looking for.
It's perfect. I thought I was going to have to carve little holes in my cigar boxes,
and then I saw your idea of using plastic canvas instead.furniture Nz
I have a lot of leftover plastic canvas from when my mother used to do needlepoint tissue box covers.
So, cheap and easy! Thanks!